- Year 1: Professor Quirinius Quirrell
- Year 2: Professor Gilderoy Lockhart
- Year 3: Professor Remus J Lupin
Books used for Defence Against the Dark Arts lessons:
- Year 1: The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection
- Year 2: Break with a Banshee, Gadding with Ghouls, Holidays with Hags, Travels with Trolls, Voyages with Vampires, Wanderings with Werewolves, Year with the Yeti
New from J.K. Rowling
"All first-years at Hogwarts must take seven subjects: Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, History of Magic, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Astronomy and Herbology. Flying lessons (on broomsticks) are also compulsory.
At the end of their second year at Hogwarts, students are required to choose a minimum of two more subjects from the following list: Arithmancy, Muggle Studies, Divination, Study of Ancient Runes and Care of Magical Creatures.
Very specialised subjects such as Alchemy are sometimes offered in the final two years, if there is sufficient demand."