The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 is a book written by Miranda Goshawk. As a required first year textbook, it can be bought at Flourish and Blotts for one galleon. It is one of the three Spellbooks found in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and as such it cannot be found in the trunk, bought more than once or traded.
"An indispensable guide to your basic magical needs."
From the Story
“The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1, by Miranda Goshawk, is the required text for first-year Hogwarts students.”
New from J.K. Rowling
- “Charms differ from Transfiguring Spells in the following manner: a charm adds certain properties to an object or creature, whereas a transfiguring spell will change it into something utterly different.
- “The lesser charms are not very difficult to break and many of those that you learn as a young wizard will wear off in a matter of days or even hours.
- “Dark charms are known as jinxes, hexes and curses. This book does not deal with such spells.
- “Lapses in concentration while charming can result in painful side effects - remember Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself lying on the floor with a buffalo on his chest.
- "Some charms will be ineffective on large creatures such as trolls, whose hides repel all but the most powerful spells."
Below is a list of all the spells for which the book contains directions. Buying the book unlocks these spells.
- Fire-Making Spell 1
- Levitation Charm
- Locking Spell
- Mending Charm
- Severing Charm
- Softening Charm
- Unlocking Spell 2